When Renting or Buying a House Poisonous Plants That can Harm your Pets! Choosing a New Home, Renting after you Sell Home As Is or Trying to Sell Mobile Home Fast?
When you’re choosing a new home, renting after you sell home as is. Or even trying to sell mobile home fast you want to make sure that it’s right for the whole family. To many of us, our pets are as much a part of the family as us. We want to ensure that no harm comes to them, but the truth is that a new garden can be a dangerous environment. Many of the plants that seem entirely innocent to us can be poisonous to them. Here are a few potential culprits to keep an eye out for.
Of the two kinds of crocuses, only the autumn variety is poisonous to dogs, cats, and other pets. The spring crocus can cause some indigestion and vomiting, as can most plants. Autumn crocuses, however, are highly toxic, causing severe vomiting, internal bleeding, as well as damage to the liver and kidneys. Crocuses can be difficult to tell apart, so it’s worth ridding the garden of any variety. If you’re concerned your pet has eaten one and you’re not sure which, take them to the vet immediately.
Much like crocuses, not all lilies are inherently dangerous to animals. However, there are many varieties of them, some of them with subtle differences. While Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies have effects on digestion that aren’t all that much to worry about, the same can’t be said about Tiger, Day, Easter, Asiatic, or Japanese snow lilies. These are toxic to cats and even a small amount can cause acute kidney failure. If your cat consumes lilies and you’re not certain which kind they are, you must act fast. Decontamination and fluid treatments can flush the poison from their system, but the sooner the treatment starts, the better.
Some of the symptoms caused by eating this common plant can seem relatively benign. Many plants cause excessive drooling and a touch of vomiting or diarrhea. However, azalea goes beyond these common symptoms and can put your pet in a possibly fatal coma.
Synonymous with Spring, daffodils are incredibly common. As ubiquitous in gardens as it may be, however, these bright yellow flowers can also be incredibly dangerous. The flowers, bulb, and the stem all contain lycorine which triggers severe gastrointestinal trouble. Severe vomiting, heart arrhythmias, and respiratory depression can all be life-threatening to your pets, so it’s important to get treatment if you think your pet has chewed on a daffodil.
Filled with allergenic lactones, tulips can cause severe allergic reactions in dogs, leading to irritation and swelling in the mouth and esophagus. In the worst cases, they can cause airways to seize and close up, leading to suffocation. The dangerous part of the tulip is the bulb, so you should be concerned if you see your dog digging around them in the flowerbed.
You don’t need the presence of any one plant to put you off a potentially great place to live. Just know which plants you should look out for and be ready to rid the garden of them to give your pet a warm welcome to their new home.